· SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights
    · LARO Shafts

Topsites

Our Visitors Map

Alexa Tool Bar
    Get our toolbar!

Team SEWA :: View topic - Performance Enhancing Drugs in Darts??
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Performance Enhancing Drugs in Darts??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    TCrum84
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Performance Enhancing Drugs in Darts?? Reply with quote

I was watching a documentary about steroids the other day, and I was curious if anyone has ever heard of any "performance enhancing" drugs used in darts. I know it may sound silly, but I'm not talking about steroids. The documentary also talked about how musicians and other performers take beta blockers to help ease stage fright and calm nerves. This is something I could see being beneficial in darts, especially during a big match on stage. Other drugs that came to mind were drugs used for ADD, like adderall. Classmates of mine would abuse this drug in college to study or get a lot of work done in a short period of time. For those that don't know, adderall is a drug that allows people to focus so intensely on their task with out easily being distracted. That is why I think it could enhance the performance of a dart shooter. I am in no way suggesting that anyone try this. I was just asking out of curiosity. The only performance enhancing drug I use in darts is beer Laughing
    GT
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pharmaceutical of choice for almost all target shooting sports (darts, archery, gun shooting) is typically beta blockers as they calm the heart and keep aim steady.

Minute Man Dart League, Inc.
    World's Largest Steel Tip League
    http://www.mmdl.org

DartConnect
    World's most powerful darts scoring app
    http://www.dartconnect.com
    dwalsh
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)
    SEWA Moderator (S-6)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been going on for years. Twisted Evil
    2013 MMDL CRICKET GOLD CHAMPION
    2013 WORLD MASTERS PARTICIPANT HULL ENGLAND
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That's what there's a DRA (spelling?) organization to monitor this with the professionals and cocaine was the biggest problem back in the 80's.

I know I use a performance enhancing substance when I play, however what I use is legal: B12. Wink
    jakesy
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta Blockers block the adrenalin response. Won't get too high or too low
    S. Shore Super A, One Eyed Willy's Rockland Eagles #841
    TCrum84
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are beta blockers used by many shooters? Or are the rules strictly enforced?

And CraigB, have you seen a significant increase in concentration and focus since using B12? I've been looking for something natural to use as I have a hard time staying focused while playing for long periods of time.
    5uperman
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about alcohol? and weed?

pretty common among dart players
    CraigB
    Spam Killer and Admin
    Spam Killer and Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCrum84 wrote:
    And CraigB, have you seen a significant increase in concentration and focus since using B12? I've been looking for something natural to use as I have a hard time staying focused while playing for long periods of time.

B12 makes you feel like you've had two beers (or whatever was just the right amount for you), except you don't have to worry about how to maintain that level.

Also, B12 is water soluable so if you take more than your body needs it just flushes right through. In other words, there's no downside.
    fotoman
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta blockers and cannabis products are illegal in darts. Both the DRA and the WDF (i.e. ADO & NDFC) pretty much use the same banned substance lists. Random testing can occur at any event under those organizations banners (which is pretty much every dart tournament these days). If you test positive...1-2 year ban from competition. More likely to happen in larger status events, but any one of them are subject to random tests.

alcohol is allowed in darts. various organizations restrict their use/consumption during televised/staged events, but the actual substance is allowed.

As far as B12... HUGE fan for 4 years. Go with the $5-9 bottle of sublingual vitamin B and it contains 59 doses as opposed to the "5 Hour Energy" brand mini-shots. CVS, Walgreens, Target, local grocery store, etc should carry it. I find my focus is much more acute with it. Effects last about 5-7 hours for 1 dose.
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffer from a genetic blood pressure issue, and was prescribed beta blockers and diuretics, both of which are prohibited substances, even when prescribed. My doctor had to change my prescriptions so I would be clear to play in the World Cup.

While diuretics are are not themselves performance enhancing substances, they are prohibited as they are often used as a masking agent.

As I said, I was on beta blockers for a while, and I'll tell you, it was one of the worst things that ever happened to me. It's true that they help prevent nerves, but they prevent you from feeling spontaneous elation or a buzz of anticipation. What is worse though, they they totally prevent you from "digging deep" when you are under pressure; your body just doesn't respond. Not a great feeling at all... Sad

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    www.adodarts.com/browniesblog/index.php
    KopRalph11
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chunky wrote:

While diuretics are are not themselves performance enhancing substances, they are prohibited as they are often used as a masking agent.

As I said, I was on beta blockers for a while, and I'll tell you, it was one of the worst things that ever happened to me. It's true that they help prevent nerves, but they prevent you from feeling spontaneous elation or a buzz of anticipation. What is worse though, they they totally prevent you from "digging deep" when you are under pressure; your body just doesn't respond. Not a great feeling at all... Sad

Steve

Well said Chunky: As a kid i suffered from High Blood pressure and I was convinced I lost passion and desire which i needed to preform at my best because of the drugs. It was an extremely odd feeling. Indirectly it was a negative shot to my confidence. I can't imagine how it would benefit a dart player.
    podge
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotoman wrote:
    Beta blockers and cannabis products are illegal in darts. Both the DRA and the WDF (i.e. ADO & NDFC) pretty much use the same banned substance lists. Random testing can occur at any event under those organizations banners (which is pretty much every dart tournament these days). If you test positive...1-2 year ban from competition. More likely to happen in larger status events, but any one of them are subject to random tests.

alcohol is allowed in darts. various organizations restrict their use/consumption during televised/staged events, but the actual substance is allowed.

As far as B12... HUGE fan for 4 years. Go with the $5-9 bottle of sublingual vitamin B and it contains 59 doses as opposed to the "5 Hour Energy" brand mini-shots. CVS, Walgreens, Target, local grocery store, etc should carry it. I find my focus is much more acute with it. Effects last about 5-7 hours for 1 dose.

Cannabis is illegal and banned by the DRA but is still used by many players at tournaments and league. Organizers don't have the bottle to suspend player's using pot at tournaments and league play.
    Chitown599
    Senior Moderator Team SuperUser Admiral
    Senior Moderator Team SuperUser Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisinopril, and Hydrochlorothiazid, are both used for high blood pressure. Are these considered beta blockers?
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently on Team Shrek, Thaaaaaat's right
    dayjobdave
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I was prescribed beta blockers so that I could have an MRI. (Helps you stay calm inside the machine.)

I tried some leftovers before dart night once. I agree with what Chunky said. Sure you feel no nerves, but you don't dig deep with that adrenaline rush either.

Most of all, it got me to thinking that nerves, the adrenaline rush, and that challenge that we get when we're in a big high stakes match is FUN. It's why we play in the first place.

This made me embrace my nerves, and made me a better pressure player.

B12 works great. Beer can be effective. Smile But all in moderation.
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chitown599 wrote:
    Lisinopril, and Hydrochlorothiazid, are both used for high blood pressure. Are these considered beta blockers?

Beta blockers are something totally different. Lisinopril is fine (it's an ACE inhibitor); HCTZ isn't (it's a diuretic). Originally, I was on Lisinopril-HCTZ, but had to switch to pure Lisinopril.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    chunky
    General Brown
    General Brown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dayjobdave wrote:

Most of all, it got me to thinking that nerves, the adrenaline rush, and that challenge that we get when we're in a big high stakes match is FUN. It's why we play in the first place.

EXACTLY!!! I'll tell you, it felt terrible to have no emotions, because they are all part of being a human.

Steve

www.browniedarts.com
    Crash336
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if I sway the topic a bit, but this reminds me of a tournament I played in a few years back. My opponent (a biker) who I didn't regard that highly (skill wise, he was alway fun to be around) just hit a maxium and then a high out. He then stops, turns to his wife and yell across the room "honey, make a note- alcohol level is just right"

as often the case (at least with me) he couldn't maintain the correct balance through out the night.

I find that with any "crutch" drug or even sport wax, powders .... unless I can practice in the same condition every day - they become conterproductive. Just too difficult to find the same consistance affect.
    Davin
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting subject and one I had brought up when I first joined SEWA...

I'll bump the thread so see the difference in responses if there are any...
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chitown599 wrote:

Probably more then a few of us on these here -- and frankly, I hate the HCTZ. However, in my case it's what makes the most difference (also a sufferer of genetic High BP)./
    TCrum84
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation of the liquid B12. I picked some up today, and it seems to have the same effect as the 5 hour energy shots. Only this is a heck of a lot cheaper at $10 for 59 servings at Walgreens. I'll have to look around to see if I can find it cheaper somewhere.
    JinRI
    Dart Staff Sergeant
    Dart Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone taking B12 - How long before playing would it be best to take it? In the morning, an hour before playing? 20 minutes? Immediately before the game?

Does it truly help or is it more-or-less a placebo effect? I know some of the bottles mention something about mental acuity, but if you believe something will have a certain affect it probably will.
    fotoman
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously with anything it affects people differently. I have noticed enhanced focus; so it's a staple for me. 30 min- 2 hours beforehand; it really varies.

So back when I was playing team league, I would take my dose around 5:30-6pm. League started at 7:30 and when it ended around 10:30-11pm...I was still very focused and playing top darts.

I have found a tiny bit of alcohol when swallowing the dose seems to quicken the notice of things. Some of the compounds might be alcohol soluble to allow faster absorption. Just speculating there, nothing scientific.
    View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: