· Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights
    · LARO Shafts

Topsites

Our Visitors Map

Web Toolbar
    There isn't content right now for this block.

Alexa Tool Bar
    Get our toolbar!

Team SEWA :: View topic - Slim Flight Wing Size
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Slim Flight Wing Size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> General Dart Talk
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    abneg
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Slim Flight Wing Size Reply with quote

Hey guys.
    Ive been playing around snipping my old standard flights and have definately noticed improved accuracy with a slimmer flight. Problem is theyre landing tail down a little more than I'd like. I figure I've gone just a bit too slim.
    Could one of you slim flight users do me a favor and measure a single wing on one your flights and let me know how wide it is. Not the whole span just a single wing.
    Thanks,
    Alex

Benjamin Franklin
    RP_BILL
    Dart Gunny
    Dart Gunny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you were curious, A-Z Darts has an excellent chart that shows the exact wing surface area of many of the different kinds of flights that are available. A higher WSA will tend to lift the tail of your dart, and conversely, a lower WSA will tend to lower the tail of your dart. Most people generally like their dart to land at a slightly upward angle, but that may be a matter of preference. With that knowledge, you may want to use the chart and consider trying out a couple of different styles with either higher or lower WSA's than what you are throwing now, depending on the effect you are trying to accomplish. Flights are cheap, so a few dollars spent on trial and error, and the possibility that you may find something that enhances your game, seems like a worthwhile investment to me.

Here's the link if you would like to check it out:

http://www.a-zdarts.com/Category/Flights/Wing-Surface-Area.aspx

Hope you find it interesting/helpful. Shoot Well.
    abneg
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RP_BILL wrote:
    In case you were curious, A-Z Darts has an excellent chart that shows the exact wing surface area of many of the different kinds of flights that are available. A higher WSA will tend to lift the tail of your dart, and conversely, a lower WSA will tend to lower the tail of your dart. Most people generally like their dart to land at a slightly upward angle, but that may be a matter of preference. With that knowledge, you may want to use the chart and consider trying out a couple of different styles with either higher or lower WSA's than what you are throwing now, depending on the effect you are trying to accomplish. Flights are cheap, so a few dollars spent on trial and error, and the possibility that you may find something that enhances your game, seems like a worthwhile investment to me.

Here's the link if you would like to check it out:

http://www.a-zdarts.com/Category/Flights/Wing-Surface-Area.aspx

Hope you find it interesting/helpful. Shoot Well.

Thank you for the reply. I've studied the surface area pictures already.
    I really would rather not order a slew of flights and find out that I cant use them. Things are a little tight this year so even a few bucks can be a big deal. I'd like to give the slim flights a try but I'd rather not order them till I know they're going to be right for me. All I need is the wing width in inches or millimeters and then I can make a few sets to try out.
    Less aggravation less wasted money.

Thanks
    Alex

Benjamin Franklin
    NotreDan
    Private

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those surface areas look wrong.

The mini-slim is 25.58 which is larger than the regular slim at 23.51!
    Also, the V-Wing is larger than standard (I have seen another chart showing the V-Wing as smaller than a slim).

Something just isn't right with that chart - maybe a typo somewhere.
    InFESTation
    Dart Sergeant
    Dart Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was originally found on SEWA if I remember right

on this the kites can be seen with a smaller surface area but the shape means it ends up with more lift on the flight
    GeorgeSilberzah
    General Silberzahn
    General Silberzahn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Slim Flight Wing Size Reply with quote

abneg wrote:
    Hey guys.
    Ive been playing around snipping my old standard flights and have definately noticed improved accuracy with a slimmer flight. Problem is theyre landing tail down a little more than I'd like. I figure I've gone just a bit too slim.
    Could one of you slim flight users do me a favor and measure a single wing on one your flights and let me know how wide it is. Not the whole span just a single wing.
    Thanks,
    Alex

I've been cutting my flights since 1976 and have found one critical thing: the length of the flight is more sensitive than the width of it. It moves the lifting part (width) farther back, or closer to, the balance point.
    I can have flights cut the same width but they will tend to either stand up or lay down because of their length.
    My flights are about the width of my thumb nail.
    I've used the same length shafts all along and find the same affect on the attitude of the dart with shorter or longer shafts.
    Developer: Player's Tournament
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> General Dart Talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: